The Defender of Terra Pomaria
- Blazon- Azure, three chevronels braced and on a chief argent a sword azure. Registered with the College of Arms in May of AS XXIX/1994.
The Defender is the first and oldest earned title created in Terra Pomaria that started when the branch was still a shire in AS XXV/1990 under the direction of then-seneschal Cesare the Merchant. The first defender was determined after a series of months-long fighter's practices that included tournament sessions eventually eliminating all contenders but one who was deemed the champion at the May 7 AS XXV/1990 branch fighter's practice. After its initial inception every defender thereafter has traditionally been determined annually at the Long and Short of It Tournament. The 14th defender, Angus McClure, who was also the 1st defender, had to abdicate the title after winning Summits Fall Coronet Tournament XXXVIII/2003 where he was invested as Tanist and heir to the Principality of the Summits. His victory resulted in a conflict of fealty that required abdication of his defendership. Baron William and Baroness Elspeth released him at the next Terra Pomaria event Baronial Revolt XXXVII/2003 and after consultation with the Mistress of the Lists, it was deemed suitable that the runner-up in the last defender tournament, Brian of Ledbury, would be invested as the 15th defender to finish Angus's tenure.
Determined annually at the Long and Short of It Tournament. The style of combat and weapons used to determine a new victor by tournament is traditionally selected by the current defender. Since its establishment, the denfendership has been determined on an annual basis with one exception (see history for details).
Entrants competing for defender are not required to have a consort. Since AS Long and Short of It Tournament XXXVI/2001 Elspeth, 2nd Baroness of Terra Pomaria has willed that all consorts of defenders be given the Honor of Elspeth's Iris at the close of their champion's tenure. The consort of the defender has affectionally, yet unofficially, been referred to as the "Defender Babe" and to date has always been female as there has yet to have been a female defender of the barony.
The defender's regalia includes circlets for the defender and consort, the defender's sword (that victor's hold while being sworn into defendership during court ceremony), the defender's shield displaying the barony's arms, A glass-front display box containing the official scroll of former defenders and a banner bearing the defender's badge.
Roll of Defenders
- 1st Angus McClure from May 7 AS XXV/1990 to August 10 AS XXVI/1991
- 2nd Angus McClure from August 10 AS XXVI/1991 to August 22 AS XXVII/1992
- 3rd Tempest from August 22 AS XXVII/1992 to August 21 AS XXVIII/1993
- 4th Tempest from August 21 AS XXVIII/1993 to July 23 AS XXIX/1994
- 5th Tempest from July 23 AS XXIX/1994 to August 5 AS XXX/1995
- 6th Conrad Breakring of Ascalon from August 5 AS XXX/1995 to July 26 AS XXXI/1996
- 7th William Percival from July 26 AS XXXI/1996 to July 26 AS XXXII/1997
- 8th Yojimbo Hiroshi-nin from July 26 AS XXXII/1997 to July 25 AS XXXIII/1998
- 9th Yojimbo Hiroshi-nin from July 25 AS XXXIII/1998 to July 24 AS XXXIV/1999
- 10th William Percival from July 24 AS XXXIV/1999 to July 22 AS XXXV/2000
- AS XXXVI/2001 consorts eligible for the Honor of Elspeth's Iris by will of Elspeth, 2nd Baroness of Terra Pomaria
- 11th William Geoffrey the Rogue from July 22 AS XXXV/2000 to August 24 AS XXXVI/2001
- No consort
- 12th Yojimbo Hiroshi-nin from August 24 AS XXXVI/2001 to August 10 AS XXXVII/2002
- Consort Marsona of White Mountain
- 13th Gunther Ravensfuri from August 10 AS XXXVII/2002 to August 9 AS XXXVIII/2003
- No consort
- 14th Angus McClure from August 9 AS XXXVIII/2003 to October 12 AS XXXVIII/2003
- Consort Duana Linette Traherne
- Angus had to surrender the defendership at the next Terra Pomaria event due to his elevation to Tanist of the Summits on September 20th at Summits Fall Coronet XXXVIII/2003 to the runner-up from the defender tournament.
- 15th Brian of Ledbury from October 12 AS XXXVIII/2003 to August 28 AS XXXIX/2004
- Consort Acacia Gryffyn
- 17th Aleyn the Younger from July 9 AS XL/2005 to August 26 AS XLI/2006
- Consort Helena Bryenissa Raoulaina
- Roland had to surrender the defendership upon his elevation to Baron of Terra Pomaria to the runner-up from the defender tournament.
- 20th Earl Sir Duncan Aurther Ross the Black from August 25 AS XLI/2007 to August 25 AS XLIII/2008