The Barony of Terra Pomaria is an active branch of the SCA since AS XVIII/1982 centered in the City of Salem and including Marion, Polk and Lincoln Counties of Oregon located within the Principality of the Summits in the Kingdom of An Tir.
The barony is located midway within the Willamette Valley and is split in the middle by the Willamette River. Geographically, Terra Pomaria contains hills and some mountainous areas of the Cascade and Coast Ranges. It's neighbors bordering on the north being the Barony of Three Mountains and the Shire of Mountain Edge; on the south by the Shire of Coeur du Val; and to the east by the Shire of Corvaria. It is the northern-most branch of the Principality of the Summits. Its well-known event sites used for many branch and higher-level An Tir events include Willamette Mission State Park and Silver Creek Falls State Park.
- 1 Branch Heraldry
- 2 Timeline of General History
- 3 Landed Barons and Baronesses
- 4 Champions
- 5 Officers
- 6 Sergeantry
- 7 Populace Facts & Milestones
- 8 Branch Awards and Orders
- 9 Newsletter
- 10 Gatherings History
- 11 Traditional Events
- 12 Other Events
- 13 Web Site
- The name was initially registered with the College of Arms May AS XVIII/1984 as the "Shire of Terra Pomaria," as the branch originally intended to be an indpendent shire. However, since it ended up relying on the sponsorship of Three Mountains in canton status, the name was reregistered in March AS XX/1986 along with the arms as the "Canton of Terra Pomaria." Even though independent shire status was obtained at September Crown Tournament XXI/1986 the name was never re-registered as a shire. The final registration took place in January ASXXVII/1993 as the "Barony of Terra Pomaria."
- Upon naming the branch a concensus was contemplated and voted upon. Some sources say there were 7 submissions, others say 14 total, with the #2 name was Willum Shire (Willamette Shire), and the #1 name was Terra Pomarium (Land of the Orchards). The Kingdom Herald later corrected the Latin form to Terra Pomaria.
- Blazon Azure, three chevronels braced argent, in chief two broad arrows and overall a laurel wreath Or.
- Registered with the College of Arms in March of AS XX/1986. As with all baronies in the Known World, the branch arms symbolize the landed baron and baroness and may only be used by them for display to signify their presence, land and properties.
- Vandoral the Merchant, talented in heraldic arts, was an early herald of the branch and acted as chief designer of the arms making him integral in its creation. Initially he had proposed arms with a stalk of Wheat and a Ferret to symbolize, within heraldic humor, the Wheatland Ferry - a well-known landmark within the branch's lands. Instead, the arms were decided upon to strongly reflect the look of Three Mountains' arms as initially the branch was made a canton of that barony. The three chevronels actually are to symbolize the mountains of Three Mountains' arms; the two broad arrows pointing downward literaly are there to point out Terra Pomaria is "the land below Three Mountains." The downside is long after Terra Pomaria's independence first as a shire then as a barony, the strong association with Three Mountains' arms remains so uncanny that many times it is heraldically mistaken for Three Mountains.
- Blazon - Azure, three chevronels braced argent and in base a broad arrow Or.
- Registered with the College of Arms in September of AS XX/1986.
Timeline of General History
- Circa mid-AS XII/1977 through circa AS XV/1981 sections of what would become Terra Pomaria, namely Salem and parts of Marion County, Oregon belong to the Shire of Stormshadow.
- Circa AS XVI/1981, just prior to An Tir becoming a kingdom, Stormshadow went defunct. Salem and the other select Marion County zip codes it possessed are given to the newly formed Shire of Nether Edge centered out of Dallas / Polk County, Oregon.
- January XVI/1982, the Principality of An Tir becomes a kingdom.
- August AS XVIII/1982, Owain of Corn Valley and his wife Rose aux Mains Habiles grow restless with the Shire of Nether Edge and consider rebuilding an independent SCA branch once again in Salem or greater Marion County area.
- November AS XVIII/1982, the organizational meeting forming Terra Pomaria was held in Salem although the only zip codes the branch could acquire were centered more rurally in Marion County, specifically in and around Silverton, Oregon.
- Terra Pomaria became a Canton of the Barony of Three Mountains at May Crown Tournament XVIII/1983 lasting until September Crown Tournament XXI/1986.
- Terra Pomaria was elevated to a shire at September Crown Tournament XXI/1986 lasting until May Crown Tournament XXVII/1992.
- Beginning in circa early AS XXIV/1990, Terra Pomaria was a branch included in the Rivers Region for the duration of the region's recognized existence.
- Terra Pomaria was elevated to a barony at May Crown Tournament XXVII/1992. Circa this time the branch finally acquired remaining Marion County zip codes as well as all of Polk County.
- Terra Pomaria was moved into the Principality of the Summits: May Crown Tournament XXXVII/2002.
- Formally recognized as part of the Principality of the Summits: Summits Summer Investiture XXXVII/2002.
Landed Barons and Baronesses
- 1st- Cesare the Merchant and Astrid of Flanders were elevated to serve as founding Baron and Baroness by Gunnarr II and Gabriell II from May Crown Tournament XXVII/1992, May 16th to September Crown Tournament XXXV/2000, September 2nd.
- 2nd- William Percival and Elspeth of Wyre Forest were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by Skepti Ravensfury II and Asa Starradottir I from September Crown Tournament XXXV/2000, September 2nd to Summits Winter Investiture XXXVIII/2003, December 13th.
- 3rd- Gawin of Kevelioc and Marianna ferch Orla were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by Gunnarr III and Gabriell III from Summits Winter Investiture XXXVIII/2003, December 13th to Branch Business Meeting, January 15th XLI/2007.
- 4th- Roland von Bern and Emma von Bern were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by Sven V and Signy V, with only Sven present, from Bar Gemels XLI/2007, April 28th to Winters End/2011, February 26.
- 5th- Michael Evers and Francesca Maria Volpelli were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by Skeggi II and Taisiia II, from Winters End/2011, February 26 to Jan 12, 2013.
- 6th- Peder Georg Jensen and Ainslee Goldheart were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by UlfR Blodfotur Fallgrson and Caoimhe (Keeva) ingen Domnaille, from 12th night/2013, Jan 12 to May 28, 2016.
- 7th- Weylyn Middleson and Lindis Aquisgrano were elevated to serve as Baron and Baroness by Eirik Daegarsson and Driffina Ulfgarsdottir, from Egil Skallagrimsson Memorial Tournament LI/2016, May 28 to present.
Terra Pomaria currently has five active championships. The barony follows the standard set by both the Kingdom of An Tir and the Principality of the Summits with the caliber and skill of her champions equaling entrants found competing at the highest of levels. The history of Terra Pomaria's champions is rich, now spanning decades. All championships are presented in order of inception.
- The Defender of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: William Geoffrey the Rogue as of June 18th, 2016 at The Long & Short of It
- The Arts and Sciences Champion of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: Duvessa of Movilla as of November 21, 2015 at Martinmas
- The Rapier Champion of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: Monseigneur Chrestien de Valois as of November 5th, 2016 at Martinmas
- The Archery Champion of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: Radu Dragomir as of June 18th, 2016 at The Long & Short of It
- The Youth Champion of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: Erin of Terra Pomaria as of April 16, 2016 at Bar Gemels
- The Bardic Champion of Terra Pomaria
- Current Champion: Emelyn Fulredy as of April 16, 2016 at Bar Gemels
- Herald (Hazel Leaf Pursuivant)
- Christmas Caryl
The current sergeants (and holders of equivalent ranks) in Terra Pomaria:
Populace Facts & Milestones
The Northern Horde
Elevated to Peerage
This section intends to honor by naming, in order of receipt, those current and past Terra Pomarians either by mundane residence or exclusively playing in / claiming residency of the branch who were elevated to peerage.
- AS XXX / 1995 Angus McClure
- AS XXXIII / 1999 Cesare the Merchant
- AS XXXIV / 1999 Astrid of Flanders
- AS XXXVI / 2001 Elspeth of Wyre Forest
- AS XLI / 2006 Alainne de Lacy
- AS XLII / 2007 Lindis Aquisgrano
- AS XLIV / 2010 Juliana van Aardenburg
- AS XLIII/ 2008 Ian Cnulle
This section intends to honor by naming, in order of passing, those current and past Terra Pomarians either by mundane residence or exclusively playing in / claiming residency of the branch who have passed away.
- AS XXXV / 2001 Wenzel the Abductor
- AS XXXVIII / 2003 Stahlbern der Pfielschmidt (aka Stahlbern der Pheilmacher)
- AS XXXIX / 2004 Roberto des Mountana del Feugo
- AS XL / 2005 Judith de Bruges
- AS XLII / 2007 Mariah Blackfire
- AS XLII / 2007 Dragon Rider
Branch Awards and Orders
- Favor given out as the Baron deems fit.
- Favor given out as the Baroness deems fit.
Award of the Gime Stone (aka. Gem) Registered August 2008
- The center of the award is a four-pointed diamond-shaped necklace of Terra Pomaria's populace badge that hangs from the top point. Three smaller diamonds may be gained and hung from the lower three points of the greater diamond as the recipient is recognized for outstanding participation of Arts and Sciences (azure / blue in color), Martial Skill (sable / black in color) and Service (gules / red in color). Recipients receive the center of the award when they are given any one of their first achievements. The award was created by Gawin and Marianna, 3rd Baron and Baroness of Terra Pomaria introduced at Harvest Tourney-Crimson Sky War AS XLI/2006.
Award of the Apple Tree (aka. Apple Core) Registered August 2008
- Only given to a recipient once being either an individual, a couple or a household for exemplifying the essence of Terra Pomaria in hospitality, action and presentation to all those around them thereby encouraging newcomers to participate in the branch. The award was created by Gawin and Marianna, 3rd Baron and Baroness of Terra Pomaria introduced at Harvest Tourney-Crimson Sky War AS XLI/2006.
Award of the Silver Apple Registered August 2008
- Baronial favor given out as the Baron and Baroness deem fit. This award is given for consistent service to the Barony. The form of the award shall be a silver apple charm affixed to a favor ribbon in the Baronial colors of blue and gold. If the same person receives the favor more than once, another charm shall be added to the favor.
Order of the White Scroll Registered August 2008
- Membership in this order is accorded by the Baron and Baroness based on recommendation and in consultation with the current members of the order, for consistent and extraordinary service to the Barony, above and beyond the call of sanity. Membership in the order is recognized in the form of a scroll and may only be received once.
Order of the Apple Blossom Registered August 2008
- Membership in this order is accorded by the Baron and Baroness based on recommendation and in consultation with the current members of the order. For contributions to and teaching of the many fields of Arts and Sciences such as costuming, calligraphy, illumination, games, heraldry, armoring, etc. Membership in the order is recognized in the form of a scroll and may only be received once.
Order of the Hasel-note (aka. Hazelnut) Registered August 2008
- Membership in this order is accorded by the Baron and Baroness based on recommendation and in consultation with the current members of the order.For outstanding heraldry service to the Barony. Membership in the order is recognized in the form of a scroll and may only be received once.
Award of the Silver Otter Registered August 2008
- Given out as the Baron or Baroness deem fit, to a child 15 years of age or less, for consistent and continued service to the Barony. The form of the award shall be a charm in the form of an otter on a favor. If the same child receives the favor more than once, another charm may be added to the favor.
Order of the Iris of Saint Elizabeth (aka. Elspeth's Iris) Registered August 2008
- Given to the consort of Terra Pomaria's Champions and Defender at the end of their service. The Consort is a companion of the Champion/Defender and is of the opposite gender. This award is a pendant bearing an iris upon it. There is no limit on the number of times the award can be received.
Award of the Blue Pearl (aka. Pearl) Registered August 2008
- Baronial favor given out as the Baron and Baroness deem fit. This award is given for outstanding chivalric behavior or persona development. The form of the award shall be a necklace of blue and gold with a large pearl. There is no limit on the number of times the award can be received.
Order of the Heart of Saint William (aka. Heart Stone) Registered August 2008
- Baronial favor given out as the Baron and Baroness deem fit and then passed on within a year by the recipient to another person. This award is to recognize service, chivalry, outstanding acts of kindness, to say thanks, etc. This award is in the form of a pendant bearing a heart carved stone. There is no limit on the number of times the award can be received and passed on.
Ordre du Piller d'Argent (aka. Silver Pillar) Registered August 2008
- Once each year the Baron and Baroness may accept nominations for this award. The nomination forms will contain the rules and the due date for returning the nomination. The nomination may only have one name on it, with the reason that they deserve the award, in detail.
- After the due date, the nominations are read and counted by the Baron and Baroness. There must be a minimum of 20 nomination forms received to validate the nominations. If one person is nominated by at least 55% of the nominations turned in, that person will receive the award. If no person receives at least 55%, or there is less than 20 nomination forms received, no award will be given that year. This award shall be unique in that the recipient will know that a majority of the entire Barony recommended her or him. The award shall be in the form of a medallion to be hung around the neck, and a scroll. This award may only be received once.
- Martinmas - Winter
- Bar Gemels - Spring
- Long and Short of It Tournament - Summer
- Terra Pomaria Winter Event - Winter
- Terra Pomaria Autumn Event - Fall