|Baroness Kloe of Thira and Baron Arion the Wanderer of Dragon's Laire|
The Barony of Dragon's Laire is located in the central region of An Tir and covers the modern region of Kitsap and north Mason counties in Washington State.
We had the honor of being the first branch created in the Kingdom of An Tir at the first Kingdom Twelfth Night XVI (1982). At June Faire AS XXX (1995) the Shire was elevated to a Barony.
Dragon's Laire hosts several events each year, the largest and most notable is June Faire; a public demo and SCA event that draws several thousand modern visitors from the Pacific northwest and more than a thousand SCA participants from across An Tir and the Known World.
Dragon's Laire on the Web
The Baronial Webpage is www.dragonslaire.org. This is a great resource for event updates, officer contact information, and Baronial policies.
The Barony of Dragon's Laire can also be found on the Barony's Facebook; the group is open to the public.
- Kloe and Arion, Seventh Baroness and Baron - September 1, 2020 (AS LV) through current.
- Conchobar and Eilidh, Sixth Baron and Baroness - Aug 30, 2014 (AS XLIX) through September 1, 2020 (AS LV).
- Arontius and Laurellen, Fifth Baron and Baroness - Nov 13, 2010 (AS XLV) through Aug 30, 2014 (AS XLIX)
- Cedric and Brighid, Fourth Baron and Baroness - Jan 14, 2006 (AS XL) through Nov 13, 2010 (AS XLV)
- Hrollaug and Murakami, Third Baron and Baroness - Sep 2, 2000 (AS XXXV) through Jan 14, 2006 (AS XL)
- Laurellen, Viceroy for the Crown - May 17, 2000 (AS XXXV) through Sep 2, 2000 (AS XXXV)
- Jacques and Siobhan, Second Baron and Baroness - Jul 17, 1999 (AS XXXIV) through May 17, 2000 (AS XXXV)
- Artimis and Laurellen, Viceroys for the Crown - Mar 10, 1998 (AS XXXII) through Jul 17, 1999 (AS XXXIV)
- Maria, First Baroness - Sep 30, 1996 (AS XXXI) through Mar 10, 1998 (AS XXXII)
- James and Maria, Founding Baron and Baroness - Jun 3, 1995 (AS XXX) through Sep 30, 1996 (AS XXXI)
Kingdom Awards in Recognition of the Barony of Dragon's Laire
- Throne's Favor of An Tir AS XXXIII (June 5, 1999): Awarded by Aveloc the Younger and Laurellen de Brandevin
- Bountiful Hand AS X (January 8, 2005): Awarded by Thorin Njalsson and Dagmaer in Hvassa
- Throne's Favor of An Tir AS XLI (July 15, 2006): Awarded by Sven Fallgr Gunnarsson and Signy Oksendahl
- Goutte de Sang AS XLI (January 13, 2007): Awarded by Amalric Blackhart and Caia Snowden. Awarded at Twelfth Night XLI (2007), this is believed to be the first time a grant level award was given to any group.
- Bountiful Hand AS XLVI (January 7, 2012): Awarded by Ieuan Gower and Gwyneth Gower
- Bountiful Hand AS LI (July 2, 2016): Awarded by Eirik and Drifinna
Baronial Awards and Recognitions
Arts & Sciences
- Flaming Newt: The Flaming Newt is awarded to young people in the Barony for Arts & Sciences endeavors.
- Bumblebee: The Bumblebee is awarded to individuals with notable achievements in the Arts & Sciences. It may be awarded more than once.
- Nautilus: The Nautilus is the second level Baronial A&S award. A person may receive only one, which recognizes a deeper level of knowledge or excellence in the field than is recognized by the Bumblebee.
- Mano Minos: The Mano Minos is granted in recognition for great service given to the Arts & Sciences of the Barony.
- Scholar of Dragon's Laire: Scholar of Dragon's Laire is the title bestowed upon those who have successfully competed in the research division of the Dragon's Laire Arts & Sciences Championship. Research papers are submitted for judging and those that meet the designated scholastic standard are then presented during the Championships. Every competitor that meets the standard and present their paper is awarded the title of Scholar, thus building a scholastic community pledged to promoting scholarly research and writing within the Barony and the Kingdom.
- The Light of Creativity and Scholarship: This recognition is given by the Order of the Dragon's Pearl to those who participated in the Baronial Arts & Sciences and Bardic Championship competitions and were deemed worthy of recognition for their efforts but who were not selected as Champions.
- Membership in the Order of the Dragon's Pearl: Formerly known as the Order of the Albion Light, this Order was formed to recognize outstanding achievement in the Arts and Sciences in the Barony. Members of the Order are proficient in several disciplines and are committed to sharing their skills and knowledge.
- Defender of Dragon's Laire: Given to those in recognition of their promise and dedication in the Martial Arts: Archery, Heavy, Equestrian, Rapier, Siege, and Thrown Weapons.
- Order of the Dragon's Flame: The Dragon's Flame is awarded to Baronial Martial Champions as they step down from Office.
- Warlord: The title of Warlord is given to the individual heavy fighter or archer who will be tasked with leading and commanding the Barony's forces during times of War.
- Dragon's Company: The Dragon's Company is awarded in recognition of a service given to the Marshalate.
- Honored Marshall: The Honored Marshall is given to those individuals that have greatly impacted the Marshalate with their deeds and service. Most often awarded at June Faire and is recommended by the Marshals at the event.
- Dragon's Claw: The Dragon's Claw, formerly known as the Silver Claw, is awarded to young people in the Barony for contributions of merit
- Snapdragon: The Snapdragon is awarded to individuals of merit who have provided notable service to the Barony. It may be awarded more than once.
- Dragon's Lily: The Dragon's Lily recognizes extended service over a period of time and is awarded to an individual only once.
- Dragon's Heart: The Dragon's Heart is awarded to individuals of highest merit who have provided long term service to the Barony.
- Dragon's Keep: The Dragon's Keep is given by the Barony in recognition of service by a household.
- Drake's Shepherd: The Drake's Shepherd is awarded to those individuals of merit who have provided notable and honorable service to youth activities and enhanced family involvement.
- Membership in the Order of the Wyvern: This Order predates the creation of the Barony and was formed to recognize service to the Barony above and beyond the call of duty.
Other awards and recognitions
- Argent Pavilion: The Argent Pavilion is given for serious works toward making an encampment as period or peri-oid as possible. The ambiance can sometimes be as important as how 'period' the equipment is.
- Baron's/Baroness'/Baron and Baroness'/Coronet's Favor: These favors are given out in recognition of various endeavors on behalf of the Baron, Baroness, or Coronets.
- Dragon's Mantle: Given by the Barony to those who achieve great works in persona development
- Membership in the Most Noble and August Order of the Golden Hyphen: Known as the Hyphen Collective, these individuals demonstrate superior organizational abilities. The Order was created at June Faire in AS XXX, minutes after the shire was elevated to a Barony.
- A Sub-order, Hyphens in Training, exists to recognize individuals who have displayed a suitable attitude but have not met all of the requirements for membership in the greater Oder.
- Sergeants: Sergeant titles are awarded in recognition of the completion of the Baronial Sergeantry Trials and include Courtiers, Gallants, Lancers, Sergeants, and Yeomen.
- The O Kopros: This award was given for Massive verbal misstatement.
Baronial Guilds may choose to be affiliate guilds with the Kingdom versions or may be independent entities. All current Baronial Guilds exist as non-affiliate guilds although this status does not prevent guilds or guild members from interacting with the Kingdom versions. The Baronial Customary, found on the Dragon's Laire website, contains more information on the creation of Baronial Guilds. Kingdom Guild information can be found in the An Tir Handbook and the An Tir Arts & Sciences Manual.
- Culinary and Spirit-makers Guild: Members of the guild have participated in Baronial feasts, Kingdom Feasts, Perfectly Period feasts, and the West Coast Culinary Symposium. They can be found on Facebook on the Dragon's Laire Culinary Guild Discussion Group page and on their [DLCulinaryGuildfirstname.lastname@example.org elist] hosted through Yahoo Groups.
- Scribal Guild: Members of the guild support the Barony with award charters and original scrolls as well as the Kingdom of An Tir and also participate in the Kingdom and Known World Scribal symposiums. They can be found on Facebook at the DL Scribes page.
- In Abeyance
- Textile Guild: Members of the guild encompass all textile interests from raising sheep or growing flax to dyeing, spinning, and weaving. The guild members are active supporters of the Barony through teaching and donations of largess and to the Kingdom and Known World.
- Costumers Guild: Small through mighty, our Costumer's guild works with anyone attempting to research and recreate period clothing. Rectangular construction classes are offered annually and classes on period head coverings, shoes, and specific time or persona topics have also been offered.
The Barony also supports Groups and group activities for fun and education.
- Candlemas - Held on the first weekend in February, a day of socializing and feasting! This event may include Arts & Sciences and Martial activities!
- June Fair - Held on the first weekend in June, the Barony's annual public demo and also an SCA event.
- October Event - Our Baronial Arts & Sciences and Bardic Championships and feast! Classes, demos, and other activities may occur as space and time allow.
Previously Held Events
- Yule - Previously on the first weekend in December, this event is a chance for the Baronial Populace, Friends, and Cousins to come together to socialize and feast! This event may includes A&S classes as well as small tourneys. Retired to create space in the Kingdom Calendar and encourage feasting and enjoyment with Cousins and family.
- Last Chance Tourney - Held between August and October, this event hosted the Championship tourneys for archery, heavy, rapier and thrown weapons. It may have included equestrian activities.
- Dragon's Laire Sergeants Trials
- Dragon Fest (pre Harvest)
- Dragon's Laire Harvest Fest - Using locally sourced and seasonal foods for the feast and included classes on arts done at harvest time, heavy fighting, and cabbage ball.
- Dragon's Jubilee (became Yule)
- South Sound Unity Tourney
- War with Wastekeep
- Master Ed - Equestrian Championship event.
- Dragon's Laire Baroness' Birthday
- All Fools
- Ermine Cross Bardic
- Dragon's Laire Regional Feast
- Huntsman Challenge